Monday, January 9, 2012

The Big Island Smile


When I was fit, training camps were something I used to do to bump my fitness level up a notch. I would pick out a cool place to go and just make a vacation out of it. I know, it's not most folks definition of a vacation but I enjoyed it. It's been a while since I have done this but I always admired how my Epic Camp buddy Mark Pietrofesa got around. That guy is all over the world riding his bike. According to me, Petro "lives the dream".

About a week and a half ago I shot Petro an email and asked what his next adventure was. He sent me his calendar and I saw that he was going to be in Kona the week I was on vacation. I have always wanted to come to Kona in the winter to train. So I thought, why not? There was nothing holding me back. I scheduled the hotel, flights, bike, and car rental and here I am. It was the best decision I have made recently.

Kona is a magic place for me. I've had some happy times here. Returning here has put a smile on my face and a spring back in my step. I needed this. It's also a great symbolic place to start my quest back to fitness. Whenever I have been here I have been in incredible shape so it's motivating to me too.

I'll report something about the trip and what I did when it's over. It's not going to be that serious. I'm just going to try to overload (which shouldn't be that difficult) and have a good time in a beautiful place doing it. Aloha

No comments: